In 2014 the Foundation for Contemporary Arts used the it’s resources to purchase the building of a former bakery and our long-term goal was to build the new seat of the Foundation as well as of the Center for Contemporary Arts here.
Our vision for this new space is based on creating a unique “setup” in the sense of a stable, open, yet moderated, independent platform for artists and art institutions that encourages mutual influence as well as the development of contemporary art scene as a whole with respect to its various and often specific needs. We would like to establish this type of an environment, then cultivate it and after that work with it on long-term basis having specific objectives.
The building is located in the centre of Prague’s quarter Letná. Following gradual renovations, for the final part of which we are currently trying to find financial resources, this space of 1200 m² now offers the following:
- Art galleries (Jelení Gallery and Cursor Gallery)
- An auditorium for lectures and workshops
- Public library
- International residential program (for international artists, theoreticians and curators)
- Other independent institutions working in the area of contemporary art. Currently the following nine art organizations can be found here:
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts Prague
- Centre for Contemporary Arts Prague
- Jindrich Chalupecky Society
- spolek Skutek
- Fair Art
- StartPoint Prize
Other institutions and projects will follow in the nearest future.
The building will continue to be gradually renovated and made accessible to the public. The architectonic study was done by the studio Tři architekti.